Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Step in the Write Direction--November 3, 2014--God's Ways Are Not Our Ways


A Step in the Write Direction

November 3, 2014

Update: Typing the words of today’s song brought back memories. In 1958-60 and 1964-65  I worked at the Nazarene Publishing House. The music branch of NPH was Lillenas Publishing Company, one of the largest music publishers in the U.S., named after Haldor Lillenas who wrote the song below. In 1959, Lillenas passed away and we went to the funeral home for the viewing. He was 74. After we left the room, we then went to another room at the same mortuary for the viewing of our Sunday school teacher’s two-year-old daughter. I couldn’t help but think what a full life Lillenas had and what a legacy he left while the little girl barely had a chance to live. I wonder what legacy she would have left. Then I wondered what legacy I’ll leave when my time here is done. Something to think about!...Yeah! Our daughter and family got here late tonight from Oklahoma. We’ll see them tomorrow…and the next day….and the next. So nice to have them back “home.”

Thought for the Day: “Try not to confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress” (Family Variety Puzzles & Games, October 2014, p. 144).

Song for the Day:
The burden that once I carried
Is gone, is gone.
Of all of my sins there remaineth
Not one, not one.
Jesus, the Saviour, hath ransomed me,
Bearing my sins upon Calvary,
Giving me glorious liberty;
My burden of sin is gone.
            —Haldor Lillenas, “My Burden Is Gone”

Laugh for the Day:
"Please go easy on the bill for repairing my car," the minister told the mechanic.  "Remember, I am a poor preacher." 

"I know," replied the mechanic.  "I heard you last Sunday."

Writer’s Tips: (This week I’m sharing a thought illustrating why God’s ways are not always our ways. It doesn’t refer to writing, but it may help someone going through a situation they don’t understand.)

For Elmer’s Sake

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord (Isaiah 55:8).

“Lord, why have you let Mother linger so long? You know she’s ready to go.”

It was two o’clock in the morning in December 1982. Sitting in the tiny, smoke-filled waiting room of the Intensive Care Unit, I thought back over the events of the last eighteen months: my mother’s cancer surgery, the chemo treatments, my eight trips between Arizona and Michigan, and the final surgery which led to the coma in which she now lay.

The week before, the doctor had told me “24 to 48 hours” and I had summoned my brothers and sister who had come, along with some of their children, to be by Mother’s bedside. Day after day we waited and watched. “She quit breathing,” someone would say and we’d rush to the cafeteria to get a family member. But by the time we returned, the breathing had begun again.

Exhausted, and needing to return home for a statewide Christian writers seminar I was leading, I often found myself alone in this little waiting room, praying and questioning God.

On this particular night, however, I was not alone for long. A man in his middle sixties made his way into the room, dragging his IV stand beside him.  “How are you doing?” I asked him.

“Not too good,” he answered in a low voice. “My doctor told me today I have only six months to live.”

We chatted for awhile. Then he asked why I was there and I told him about my
other.

“How did she handle it when they told her?” he asked me.

I shared with him about her Christian faith which had kept her all through the years, and also that many people had been praying for her.

“I used to pray,” he admitted, “but I don’t anymore. It’s too late.”

“It’s never too late,” I told him. Reaching into my purse, I took out my New Testament and turned to John 3:16.
“Listen to this verse,” I told him. I read the words, putting his name in the appropriate places:  “For God so loved Elmer, that he gave his only begotten Son, that [if] Elmer believes in him Elmer shall not perish, but have everlasting life.”

Elmer read the verse again, then he looked up and asked, “Does that mean there’s still a chance for me?”

“That’s exactly what it means,” I answered. I explained the gospel message simply and then asked if he would like to pray. He bowed his head and repeated the words I said to him. When we finished, he said, simply, “Thank you,” and left the room.

The next day while walking down the hall I looked up and saw Elmer coming toward me. His head erect, he shook my hand and said, “It’s okay. I’m not afraid to die now.”

Then I knew why God had let my mother linger for so long. It was for Elmer’s sake.

 Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.

Donna Clark Goodrich
dgood648@aol.com
www.thewritersfriend.net
http://donna-goodrich.blogspot.com

A Step in the Write Direction—the Complete How-to Book for Christian Writers
Preparing Your Heart for Christmas
The Freedom of Letting Go
Healing in God’s Time
The Little Book of Big Laughs
Christmas Anthology
Mother/Grandmother Anthology
Father/Grandmother Anthology



No comments:

Post a Comment