Sunday, November 23, 2014

A Step in the Write Direction--November 24, 2014--The Stone of Defeatism

A Step in the Write Direction
November 24, 2014

Update: Our eight-month-old daughter had pneumonia and was in the hospital on her first Christmas. Finances were tight, so I took in two books of stamps to get her a Christmas gift. I laid the stamps on the counter to look at the catalog. When I turned around, my stamps were gone. "Where are my stamps? They were right here?" I asked. No one answered. Almost crying, I said, "Our little girl is in the hospital. These stamps were for her Christmas gift." Still no one responded, and I left the store empty-handed and in tears.

Fast forward five years: We had moved to Arizona due to my husband's arthritis. Our son's eighth birthday was coming up, and a coworker asked what we were going to buy him. "He wants a basketball," I answered, "but we told him he'd have to wait because his dad is sick and out of work."

The next day this lady handed me two books of trading stamps. "Here," she said, "use these to get your boy his basketball." Sharing the two stories with my sister, she said, "The second lady  made up for the people at the store who took your other stamps."

I had never thought of it in that way, realizing how long the stolen stamps had stayed in my memory. I had told the story over and over again and, with each retelling, the hurt returned. However, I had almost forgotten the friend who gave up her two books of stamps so our boy could have a happy birthday.

What are you thankful for this year?

Thought for the Day:
And help us to remember
That the key to life and living
Is to make each prayer a prayer of thanks
And every day Thanksgiving.
—“A Thanksgiving Prayer,” Helen Steiner Rice.

Song for the Day:
Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
            "Great Is Thy Faithfulness," Thomas O. Chisholm

Laugh for the Day: One year after our pastor urged us to start giving thanks for everything, I took it to the limit. If our girls griped about doing dishes, I told them to be thankful they had food to eat. When they complained about the boy in children's church acting up, I told them to be thankful at least he was in church. On and on it went until the whole family got tired of it. It came to a head one day when I received a letter from our publishing house. "See," I boasted, "being thankful pays off.  Look! I sold a story!" I opened the envelope and pulled out—a bill!!

Writer's Tips: (from unpublished writers' devotional book. Note: I think I have a publisher who'll pick up this book after the first of the year!)

The Stone of Defeatism

Everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory
that has overcome the world, even our faith (1 John 5:4).

“It is interesting to note how the news of the outcome of the battle of Waterloo was communicated to England. The message was sent by rider, by ship across the English Channel, and then by semaphore from ship to shore. The message had four words. Only the first two were communicated because a heavy fog descended suddenly. What got through was only, ‘W-e-l-l-i-n-g-t-o-n  d-e-f-e-a-t-e-d.’

That’s all the relay saw on the tower of Winchester Cathedral, and all he could do was pass on the sad news. England lived in disappointment for 24 hours. Then the fog lifted, and the whole message was completed: ‘W-e-l-l-i-n-g-t-o-n  d-e-f-e-a-t-e-d  t-h-e  e-n-e-m-y’.”

Are we living today with only half a message when God wants to give us all His promises? Are we living in defeat when God wants to give us victory? Bertha Munro, in her book Truth for Today, says that “More than conquerors isn’t just barely squeaking through. It’s victory with a margin.”

We say, “I can’t write.”
God says, “I’ll help you.”

We say, “I’m afraid of being rejected.”
God says, “My Son was rejected also.”

We say, “I feel so alone.”
God says, “I’ll surround you with mentors who will be glad to share their knowledge and encouragement.”

Stephen Arterburn, talking about David facing Goliath, says, “[David] could have said, ‘Goliath is so big. I can’t win!’ Instead he said, ‘Goliath is so big—I can’t miss!’”

God did not design us to be losers. He made us to be winners!

 Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.

Donna Clark Goodrich

·         A Step in the Write Direction—the Complete How-to Guide for Christian Writers (with assignments throughout); original copies now on sale for half-price--$12.50, $3.17 s&h)
·        The Freedom of Letting Go (with discussion questions; can be used in S.S. class or small group); original copies without questions now on sale for half-price--$7.50, $2.69 s&h)
·        Healing in God’s Time (story of Dave Clark, songwriter of 25 songs that have gone to #1 on the charts); was $15; now $10, $2.69 s&h)
·        The Little Book of Big Laughs (105 purse/pocket-size book of clean jokes); up to 4 for same s&h--$2.32
·        Preparing Your Heart for Christmas (31 Advent Devotions)$5, plus s&h
·        Michigan and Ohio Cookbooks; half-price $5 each, plus s&h
·           Grandmother, Mother, and Me Anthology (stories, poetry, and recipes);
·          Grandfather, Father, and Me Anthology (stories, poetry, and recipes)
·          Celebrating Christmas with…Memories, Poetry, and Good Food
(above three anthologies now half price--$12.50, $3.17 s&h)


No comments:

Post a Comment