Monday, October 27, 2014

A Step in the Write Direction--October 27, 2014--The Stone of Discouragement


A Step in the Write Direction
October 27, 2014

Update: As I shared in my book The Freedom of Letting Go, I’ve been able to let go of my yesterdays.  However, I’m having more trouble letting go of my tomorrows! This past week with 3 new health issues for my husband, my sister’s eyesight worsening, and my daughter and family moving back here from Oklahoma and waiting for word on a church opening, I’ve found myself trying to figure out how to solve these problems on my own. One sleepless night, it’s as though the Lord said to me, “Are you trying to do My job again?” Then I happened to think of the words of a poem my mother wrote years ago when my dad left her after 22 years of marriage: “One day at a time.” So that’s my new prayer. (In fact, it might even be the old song, “Moment by Moment.”) Maybe that’s what one of you need today too, so I’ll be praying for each one who reads this.

Thought for Today: “As thy day, so shall thy strength be” (Deuteronomy 33:25).

Song for Today:
Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here.
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest….
The protector of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on himself He laid,
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.
—“Day by Day,” Carolina V. Sandell-Berg

Laugh for Today:
Wife to husband: What do you think of your new secretary’s typing skills?
Husband: Well, she does use the biblical method.
Wife: What? ‘Seek and ye shall find?’        
Husband: No, she doesn't let her left hand know what her right hand is doing.

Writer’s Tips: (from unpublished writer’s devotional book)

Rolling Away the Stone
But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was
very large, had been rolled away (Mark 16:4).

Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome brought spices to anoint the body of Jesus. But as they neared the tomb, they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?” Good question! How could they have known that the stone had already been rolled away?!

Have you ever felt that a huge stone blocks your dream to be a writer? Perhaps it’s the Stone of Discouragement. Luke 3:5-6 tells the story of Peter, a professional fisherman. When Jesus told him to let down the nets, he said, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything.”

Does this sound familiar? “Lord, I went to a conference. The editors told me to send them my book manuscripts. I did, but I’ve heard nothing.” “Lord, I’ve submitted my book fifteen times, and every time it comes back with a form rejection. They don’t even tell me why.” “Lord, I sent out twelve articles a month ago and haven’t sold anything.” “Lord, I’m quitting. My nets are empty.”

The note on this passage in the Nelson Study Bible (nkjv) says, “This is Peter’s statement of faith. The fisherman noted that he and his companions had just failed to make a catch at the best time for fishing, the evening. The circumstances were not good for a catch at the time of Jesus’ command.”

But what was Peter’s response? “Because you say so, I will let down the nets [again]” (emphasis added). And what happened? He “caught such a large number of fish that [his] net began to break.” So many fish that he had to call his partners in other boats to come and help him, and they “filled both boats so full that they began to sink” (v. 7).

Let down your net again. Only the Lord knows what you will pull up this time!

                        Chance is always powerful.
                        Let your hook be always cast.
                        In the pool where you least expect it
                        will be a fish. (Ovid)

If the stone of discouragement is blocking you today, find a scripture to hang onto and write it down where you can see it often.

 Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.

Donna Clark Goodrich
dgood648@aol.com
www.thewritersfriend.net
http://donna-goodrich.blogspot.com






1 comment:

  1. Hi Donna, This is an old friend that will be praying for your sleepless nights. I'm Monica Anzalone-Rowan, Poems and Allegorical short books. 5 of them now. Never really marketed any after the first few conferences that told me there's nothing wrong with the book, just no market for an allegory. The series is interesting as it goes deeper into each character as the books progress. They are short, 33,000 words. First book girl protagonist second boy and continues in that fashion.
    I stopped writing and went to college doctorate level and am writing again as the ideas are coming for this next book very quickly. I'm into the 4th chapter of the detailed outline as I get more ideas every night. I know the beginning and the ending very striking end and could be frightening content as it deals with angels, demons and the end times.
    I see the setting and think it could be a good television series. I have co- written and have been paid option money's for a screen play years ago.
    I was writing for your input. What do you think?
    Monica

    ReplyDelete