Monday, March 17, 2014

A Step in the Write Direction--March 17--Linda Carlblom, guest blogger

A Step in the Write Direction

March 17, 2014

Update: Yes! I received a contract this last week for A Step in the Write Direction, so it won’t be going out of print. As I mentioned before, I’ll be combining the original book with the Student Edition, so I am selling all my inventory of this latter book for just $10 each, plus $3 s&h. This is a great book for home schoolers, Christian schools, beginning writers, or anyone who enjoys assignments throughout a book….I also have 5 copies left of the 2014 Christian Writers’ Market Guide for only $15, $3 s&h, and 100-Plus Motivational Moments for Writers and Speakers for half price—$5, and $3 s&h….My husband had his left hand x-rayed Monday after his fall and we’re thankful it wasn’t broken—just swollen and purple, but it’s getting a lot better….Happy St. Patty’s Day everyone. Hope the winter weather has begun to clear up in your area.

Thought for Today: The greatest tragedy in life is the prayers that go unanswered because they go unasked (Mark Batterson, Draw the Circle).

Laugh for Today: The lady was trying to impress those at the party.  "My family's ancestry is very old," she bragged.  "It dates back to the days of King John of England."  Then, turning to a lady sitting quietly in a corner, she asked condescendingly, "And how old is your family, my dear?"  The lady was trying to impress those at the party.  "My family's ancestry is very old," she bragged.  "It dates back to the days of King John of England."  Then, turning to a lady sitting quietly in a corner, she asked condescendingly, "And how old is your family, my dear?" "Well," replied the woman with a smile, "I really can't say. All our family records were lost in the flood."

Song for Today:
Troubled soul, the Saviour can see
Ev’ry heartache and tear.
Burdens are lifted at Calvary;
Jesus is very near.
            —John H. Moore, “Burdens Are lifted at Calvary”

Writer’s Tips:
This week we’re honored to have Linda McQuinn Carlblom, a member of our weekly critique group, Tuesday’s Children, as our guest blogger. I’m sure you’ll enjoy what she has to say.
Linda McQuinn Carlblom
http://christianchildrensauthors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Typewriter-in-bookstore.jpgHonestly, I feel a little guilty about that title. Because lately, I don’t feel much like a writer. But several of the authors on this blog agreed to share their writing routine just so people would know what it’s like to be a writer. And I was one of them.
For me, writing has had to take a backseat in this season of my life. I’ve had several books published in the past and have several works in progress. But real life has overtaken my writing time for the most part and it’s all I can do right now to get a post written for this blog twice a month. I’ve had to tell myself that this is OK. That I will have more time for writing when I’m not caring for elderly parents while still parenting my last child, getting rental houses ready to re-rent, and keeping up with the revolving door of hospitality that my husband and I love to keep open.
To me that’s what writing is: Living life in the moment. Caring for those you love. Sharing God’s rich blessings with others who step into the comfort of our home. Being a blessing by loving others deeply. How is that writing? you ask.
Because to write in a way that’s believable and affects your readers you must live abundantly. Everything that happens in a writer’s life, all the emotions felt (both good and bad), all the sensory details and conversations spoken are fodder for the writer’s mind. They come back as you sit at your keyboard and write—for instance, that scene where a parent must say good-bye to their loved one. You remember the sounds that were around you and the way the room smelled and the sharp crack of your heart breaking. That ache in your throat as you swallowed tears and inhaled roughly trying to keep tears at bay when you were in the store the next day. It all comes from living deep and loving much, sharing what you have, and then releasing it into God’s generous hands.
So even though I don’t have a set time to plop myself down and write every day, or even every week, I’m writing in my mind. I’m remembering, taking notes, storing memories, and taking pictures. I know God will redeem the time I’m spending doing His will in this season of life. And when I do start a regular schedule of writing again, life will come pouring forth on the page, full and vibrant.
And I know I’ll have no regrets for the days I couldn’t write.
http://christianchildrensauthors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Signature-purple.jpg
Linda McQuinn Carlblom is a wife, mom of three children, and Grammy to six grandkids. She loves writing for children and young adults. After God, her top three loves are: family, reading, and cheesecake. Visit her at http://www.wix.com/llcarlblom/KidsBelieve or at her Parenting with a Smile blog, http://www.lindamcquinncarlblom.blogspot.com/

 Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.

Donna Clark Goodrich
dgood648@aol.com
www.thewritersfriend.net
http://donna-goodrich.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment