Tuesday, September 17, 2013

September 16--A Step in the Write Direction--thoughts in italics


A Step in the Write Direction
 
September 16, 2013
 
Update:
Sorry for the delay! I didn’t have an Internet connection for two days!! Just finished reviewing a really good book called "Divine Dining" by Janet K. Brown. If you've tried to diet and it didn't work, or you lost and put it back on, this is the book to read. It has 365 devotions that are both informational and inspirational. You can get it on Amazon or Barnes & Noble….This leads me to my next announcement: Between now and Christmas, I have a special for blog readers—25 cents off a page for proofreading and editing which means $1/double-spaced page for proofreading, $1.75/page for editing.
 
I had a dream (no, not that one) early Sunday morning in which I was sharing with a young man (actually, a character in a TV show!) that yes, he could know his sins were forgiven. Then in the next scene I told a group at a campfire what had happened that day and that I knew for sure God had forgiven me for everything in my past. I woke up in the morning with the words of this old hymn on my mind:
 
The burden that once I carried Is gone, is gone.
Of all of my sins there remaineth Not one, not one.
Jesus, the Saviour, hath ransomed me,
Bearing my sins upon Calvary,
Giving me glorious liberty;
My burden of sin is gone.
 
What a way to start a Sunday morning!
 
Thought for the Day:
 
“God dispenses His grace not with an eyedropper but with a fire hydrant. Your heart is a Dixie cup, and his grace is the Mediterranean Sea. You simply can’t contain it all. So let it bubble over. Spill out. Pour forth. ‘Freely you have received, freely give’(Matthew 10:8).” —Max Lucado, Grace, 2012, 110.
 
Laugh for the Day:
 
By the time Ted arrived at the football game, the first quarter was almost over. "Why are you so late?" his friend asked. "I had to toss a coin to decide between going to church and coming to the game." "How long could that have taken you?" he asked. "Well, I had to toss it 140 times." (The Gospel Greats newsletter, 9/10/13).
 
Reader’s Question:
 
A question I can't seem to find an answer for. My novel is first person present tense, and my character does a lot of "thinking." I am not putting her thoughts into italics, for the most part, because a third of the book would be italics. But occasionally, she has an important thought I want to call attention to, or she prays, or something and I put that in italics. I'm kind of modeling it after Kristen Billerbecks' books - What a Girl Wants, etc. A couple of my readers, however, have been confused by it and think I should put all her thoughts in italics. Is there a "rule" about this, or am I OK with whatever I choose to do?
Answer: You can put it in italics or in quotes—either is okay. (I just finished editing a 350-page book for a Jerry Jenkins contest, and the author says the contest rules say no italics or quotes; just let it "fade," but it was very confusing to me.) You can do whichever you want, but be consistent.
 
I'm wondering, however, if your character is doing too much thinking? Could any of it be put in dialogue with another person?
 
 Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.
 
Donna Clark Goodrich
dgood648@aol.com
www.thewritersfriend.net
 

No comments:

Post a Comment