Monday, September 23, 2013

A Step in the Write Direction--September 23, 2013--POV shift, anthology contracts

A Step in the Write Direction
 
September 23, 2013
 
Update: An enjoyable week! Proofread a really good book for young single women, and began editing a book for a mother who lost an eight-year-old daughter. Also had breakfast with two writer friends and we critiqued manuscripts. I gave them a manuscript I began many years ago on Isaiah 40:31: Pedestrian Grace—So We Can Walk and Not Faint. At that time I thought I had a publisher, so I put out a call for devotionals on that verse and selected about 50 to use. However, the publisher went out of business, so I laid it aside—until last week. I’ve added enough to it now to make 100 devotionals, so as soon as it’s finished, I’ll start looking for a publisher again. That seems to be a favorite verse of many people….Had a surprise phone call a few days ago from our daughter in Oklahoma. She and our son-in-law and two granddaughters will be arriving Tuesday night for a week’s visit!
 
Interview: A local reporter wrote a nice article about me this last week. If you’d like to read it, it’s attached. For those who don’t receive this via email, just email me at: dgood648@aol.com. (As far as I know, it’s not online yet.)
 
Thought for the Day: “I can’t tell you how many times I would have given up on ministry if it were up to me and my morale. Fortunately, I learned early on in ministry that the power of the call always supersedes the days of doubt. If God went to all the trouble to seek me out for a place of service, the least (and the most) I can do is trust the call to carry me when I can’t see past the immediate” (Dave Clark, composer, unpublished book).
 
Laugh for the Day: The husband was so cheap he hung 50 state pennants on the wall instead of taking his wife on a vacation.
 
Writers’ Tips:
 
Question 1:
At a new (to me) critique group, the leader said to use italics instead of quotation marks; i.e., directionally challenged instead of "directionally challenged." That was news to me. Is that what you recommend?
 
Answer: I’d rather use the quotation marks, if necessary, as I feel an overuse of italics breaks the train of thought. However, rather than just disagree with your leader, I’d ask him or her where they found the rule. It might be just their own personal taste and not a rule.
 
Question 2:
What happens if I contributes an article to an anthology, but sign no contract. Can that contribution be reused elsewhere?
 
Answer:
The guidelines should state the rights that the publisher/editor is buying. For the three anthologies I’ve done, the original call-out stated that we were buying One-Time Rights only. This meant 1) that the story could have been published previously, and 2) that the author has the right to send out reprints. I myself have signed contracts for anthologies I’ve contributed to, and may have authors do that on my next one—whatever that may be!
 
Question 3:
In making scene, time, or POV shifts in a novel, how do you show the shift?
 
Answer:
You can do it one of several ways. Some authors do it only when they begin a new chapter. Others simply leave an extra line space; however, to me that is confusing as the space may come at the end of the page. If you do it within a chapter, it’s best to center 3 asterisks at that point, or other symbols.
 Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.
 
Donna Clark Goodrich
dgood648@aol.com
www.thewritersfriend.net
 
"A Step in the Write Direction--the Complete How-to Guide for Christian Writers"
"The Freedom of Letting Go"

No comments:

Post a Comment