Monday, September 2, 2013

A Step in the Write Direction--Work for HIre

A Step in the Write Direction
September 2, 2013
Update: A busy week. Finished a 409-page book which now needs to be made “camera ready.” I’ve never done this before, so will have to call the customer’s printer and see what all that requires. Guess you’re never too old to learn something new! Also finished proofreading a children’s musical , completed 3 small editing jobs, and hope to finish a 350-page editing job today, to get ready for a 224-page proofreading job coming tomorrow. I’m so thankful for work I can do at home. With my husband’s health (and my age!) I could never handle a 9-5 job outside of the house….
Extra meditative thoughts for the holiday: Yesterday’s sermon was on the 23rd Psalm. Years ago while talking with a dear friend who had a terminal illness, she said, “I can handle death—meeting my Lord—but it’s what I have to go through before I die.” I reminded her of the words “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,” saying maybe David was referring to illnesses such as hers. Then yesterday I had a different thought: I wonder if David could also be referring to caregivers—those who walk through the valley with others! A comforting thought!
Thought for the Day:
“Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work” (Stephen King, On Writing).
Note re: editing: There are two typos of people in this world: those who can edit and those who can't ((Jarod Kintz)
Laugh for the Day:
One day a little girl was sitting and watching her mother do the dishes at the kitchen sink. She suddenly noticed that her mother had several strands of gray hair sticking out. She looked at her mother and asked, "Why are some of your hairs gray, Mom?"

Her mother replied, "Well, every time that you do something wrong and make me cry or unhappy, one of my hairs turn gray."

The little girl thought about this for a while and then said, "Mommy, how come ALL of Grandma's hairs are gray?"
 
Reader’s Question: I recently completed an assignment for which I signed a “work for hire” contract. Does this mean I can’t use this article again?
Answer: Normally “work for hire” means you can’t use that material again in the same form without permission from the original publisher. However, often they will give you permission if you let them know where it is to be published (not in a competing publication) and in what form.
One example: Years ago I did book reviews for Christian Retailing magazine. They sent the books; I wrote the reviews. I asked them if I could send these reviews to other magazines, and the editor said yes, if it wasn’t a competing magazine (at that time Bookstore Journal). I picked up quite a few checks selling these reviews.
One of the devotional magazines I wrote for also was “work for hire” which meant I could use the same verse in devotionals I sold to other magazines, but not the same anecdote or illustration.
 
Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.
 
Donna Clark Goodrich
 
"A Step in the Write Direction--the Complete How-to Guide for Christian Writers"
"The Freedom of Letting Go"
"Preparing Your Heart for Christmas"--31 devotions for Advent
 

No comments:

Post a Comment