Monday, May 27, 2013

A Step in the Write Direction--May 27, 2013

A Step in the Write Direction
May 27, 2013
Update: Had a good week. Got a year older, but at my age, that’s a good thing! Enjoyed a free breakfast at Denny’s and IHOP and still have coupons for a free Johnny Rocket’s, free dessert at Mimi’s, and a free drink at Starbuck’s. (Then I’ll need to join Weight Watcher’s or TOPS.) Now to get busy on editing the father/grandfather anthology and get it to the publisher.
Got a new computer last weekend, so now I have to get used to Word 2007 instead of 2003. I’m sure I’ll like it when I figure out how to save, print, spell check, etc. It sure is a lot faster than my seven-year-old machine!
Received an invitation to teach three classes at the CLASS conference (formerly at Glorieta, now in Albuquerque) in November. Will respond to them within a couple of days. Waiting to see if my friend is invited too so we can share a room and other expenses that aren’t covered.
A sharp reader pointed out that I had a typo in the last blog, but I didn’t write you all to correct it. Thought you’d have fun finding it and knowing that I’m human! (You know, to have a typo is human; to catch it is divine!)
Thanks today to all our veterans and military who are keeping our country free!
Question: Do you prefer getting this blog within your email, or would you rather just have a link to click on? I know personally, if it’s in the email I read it right away; links I put off till I have more time. How about you?
Thought for Today:
Frequently the richest answers are not the speediest…
A prayer may be all the longer on its voyage
because it is bringing us a heavier freight of blessing.
Delayed answers are not only trials of faith,
but they give us an opportunity of honoring God
by our steadfast confidence in Him under apparent repulses (C. H. Spurgeon)
Laugh for Today:
A company manager is reviewing Smith’s application and notices that he has never worked in accounting before and has no qualifications in accounting. He says to Smith, “For a man with no experience, you are certainly asking for a high salary.”
“Well, Sir,” replies Smith, “the work is so much harder when you don’t know what you’re doing!”
Reader’s Question: Remind me again, what is the going rate for proofreading? For editing? For reading a manuscript to endorse? What is the difference between those functions, i.e, if proofing looks for typos, editing looks for errors, then endorsement looks for ??? Or do I have that all wrong?
Answer: My proofreading rate is $1.25/double-spaced page; line-by-line editing is $2/page. Proofreading is mainly looking for typos; editing is looking for grammar mistakes, overused words, weak words, sentence structure, maybe even changing the order of paragraphs, etc. An endorsement is written by someone who (hopefully) has read the book and recommends it to readers.
Another question: I'm getting confused with endnotes and footnotes. I'm reading that they are the same thing, but just placed in different locations. I'm told that my book's endnotes will be at the back of the book, so does that mean I don't have to also do a bibliography or footnotes? I also have to make all my chapters as one continuous flow, not 15 chapters on 15 files, but one continuous flow of chapters. I know that I use the page break feature to go from the end of one chapter to the start of the next but how does that affect endnotes, when they automatically go at the end of each chapter and mine are supposed to be at the back of the book? I guess I don't get how I'll separate out the endnotes by chapter.
Answer: Although the format of endnotes and footnotes are the same, footnotes go at the bottom of each page; endnotes go at the end of the book. (A few publishers put them at the end of each chapter, but this is rare.) When you go to “Reference” on the toolbar, it will ask you whether you want footnotes or endnotes. A section break (not a page break) is necessary so that your endnotes will begin at #1 again in your new chapters; otherwise, they will number consecutively from the beginning of the book to the end. (The only time I’ve done this is when I had only 8 or 10 for the entire book, and then it wasn’t worth it to divide them into chapters.). You include a bibliography when you want to send the reader to other recommended books on the same subject Hope this helps!
Have a good week spreading the gospel
through the printed page.
Donna Clark Goodrich

No comments:

Post a Comment