Monday, October 14, 2013

"A Step in the Write Direction"--October 14, 2013--Periodical Analysis Sheet

A Step in the Write Direction

 

October 14, 2013

 

Update: What a good week (except for the Tigers’ 2nd game Sunday night)! While I have one publisher for whom I proofread about 50 books a year, I’ve been praying for one more. After my interview appeared in the local paper, a writer called me to edit a book for her, being published by a Phoenix publisher. I sent that publisher my resume and, so far, have had four proofreading jobs!...I also completed 2 of 3 big jobs on my to-do list: sent out 135 letters/brochures to area churches for speaking, and sorted out 16 trays of slides. Threw away a bunch and now have only 10 trays. I also updated my slide index…Yet to do: I sent 2 (lengthy) Easter poems to a program publisher who requested 4 more, so need to finish those and take to my critique group Tuesday.

 

Confession: For some reason I’ve been dreading Sundays. I love church (once I get there), but seems like the thought of getting dressed and going somewhere wears me out. This morning when I woke up, I prayed for those who would be there, for the song leader, for the preacher—and for me. (P.S. It worked!) Once there, I looked around at those nearest me and prayed for them too: A friend who lost her husband with lung cancer after being married just 21 years; a woman whose husband left her after 40-some years of marriage; a lady who had to move into assisted living, a friend whose mother-in-law has cancer. And I’m sure they all agreed with the words of my favorite chorus sung today, which will be the—

 

Song for the Day:

For all that You’ve done I will thank You, For all that You're going to do
For all that You've promised And all that You are
Is all that has carried me through, Jesus, I thank You
And I thank You, Thank You Lord
And I thank You, Thank You Lord

Thank You for loving and setting me free
Thank You for giving Your life just for me
How I thank You; Jesus, I thank You
Gratefully thank You. Thank You (Dennis Jernigan, performed by Mercy Me)

 

Thought for the Day:

If you want to put across a thought (an idea, a moral) in your story, don’t begin with that.

Before you can reach your reader and make him come over to your side in his beliefs, you

must reach him though his emotions. You must make him feel. In order to make him feel, let

him experience a sensation or emotion with one of the characters (Phyllis A. Whitney).

 

Laugh for the Day:

A minister was making a pastoral call.  Just before he left, he said he wished to read the Bible and have prayer.  The father turned to one of his children and sanctimoniously said, "Go bring that book your father's always reading."  Soon, to the deacon's delight and the father's embarrassment, the son returned bringing a copy of the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated.

 

Writer’s Tips:

 

The following is a little long, but it is a great way to study a magazine and its needs. Would be helpful to fill out one of these for each sample magazine you’re considering as a market. (I’ll be going into more detail on this at the Arizona conference November 1.) If you’d like this sent as a separate sheet, email me at: dgood648@aol.com

 

PERIODICAL ANALYSIS SHEET

 

Name of Publication _______________________________________________________

Address_________________________________________________________________

Email: _____________________________ Web site _____________________________

Submissions Editor ________________________________________________________

Frequency of Publication _______________________Denomination _________________

Audience _________________________________________________________________

Taboos ___________________________________________________________________

Rights Purchased _______________ Reprints?____________ Simultaneous ____________

Payment: How much? ________________ When __________________________________

Table of Contents: % Staff written?_____________ % Freelance?_____________________

Check photos, illustrations, ads.

Read Letters to the Editor? Reactions? Like to see article on?

 

Yes/No                                                                        Length

Articles

Fillers

Fiction

Columns

Puzzles

Poetry

Book Reviews

Other (Personal Experience, etc.)

 

 Have a good week spreading the

gospel through the printed page.

 

Donna Clark Goodrich

dgood648@aol.com

www.thewritersfriend.net

http://donna-goodrich.blogspot.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment