Monday, June 17, 2013

A Step in the Write Direction--June 17, 2013

A Step in the Write Direction

June 17, 2013

Update: Whoops! Had this done last night and forgot to send it!! It’s been a good week—no illnesses, no hospitalizations....Finishing the father/grandfather anthology. Sent edited copies out to contributors and got all back; just a few changes. (Thanks!) Now to print complete copy and do final proofreading. It’s due at the publisher’s the end of June ….A thought to pass on (time for confession). I was upset at my husband one day this week and gave him the silent treatment for a few hours. Later, when I apologized I realized 1) how childish I had acted, and 2) I could never get those hours back. (I hope God reminds me of that the next time something happens!)

Thought for the Day:

Slow Down With Psalm 46:10

Be still and know that I am God.

Be still and know that I am.

Be still and know.

Be still.

Be. (Richard Rohr)

 Laugh for the Day:

A confident little boy was practicing baseball. He said: "I'm going to be the greatest baseball player in the world!" Then he threw the ball up and made a huge swing and missed. He picked up the ball again, said: "I'm going to be the greatest baseball player in the world!" threw the ball up, took a great big swing, and missed again. Once more, he said: "I'm going to be the greatest baseball player in the world!" threw the ball in the air, made his biggest swing yet, and missed the ball yet again. He raised both his arms and cheered: "Hooray! I'm the greatest pitcher in the world!!" (from Sheila Heil Gospel Greats newsletter, June 4, 2013).

Question from Reader: You said we could use only one line of a song. Does this mean all songs, or are there some we can use more of, without having to get permission. I have some songs I want to use in my devotional book and now I’m not sure if it’s okay.

Answer: Do you have those songs in front of you, and can you see the copyright notice at the bottom of the page? They may be in what is called "public domain." Sally Stuart says to take the present year, subtract 75 (which would be 1938) and if the copyright date is before then, it's okay. Even if it's in public domain, however, you should use a footnote or an endnote as follows: "When We All to Heaven," Eliza E. Hewitt, 1851–1920.

Or, if there is a copyright notice, use the following format: "Have Thine Own Way, Lord," Adelaide A. Pollard, 1862-1934. Copyright 1907. Renewal 1935 extended by G.C. Stebbins. Assigned to Hope Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

If the copyright date is after 1938, the name of the publisher is probably listed and you find their address on Google to write for permission. (I have a sample of a permission letter I can send you if you need it.)

If you're not using a lot of the song and can't get permission, there are still two things you can do: 1) Just use the title as that can’t be copyrighted, or 2) paraphrase the words. For example, in my book The Freedom of Letting Go, I wanted to use the words of Bill Gaither's song "We Have This Moment Today," but I was sure I couldn't get permission from him, so I just wrote "Bill Gaither tells us that our yesterdays are gone and our tomorrows may not come, but we still have today."

Hope this helps.

Have a great week spreading the

gospel through the printed page.


Donna Clark Goodrich




https://www.facebook.com/email_open_log_pic.php?mid=81946cdG3d127fa3G44a666dG96

No comments:

Post a Comment