Monday, September 3, 2012

A Step in the Write Direction--September 3, 2012

A Step in the Write Direction

September 3, 2012

Update: Busy week! Had 3 proofreading jobs—176, 256, and 224 pages, all really well-written and thoughtful books. I also resubmitted the two gift books for mothers and friends that I doubled in size, and finished the father’s gift book that the same publisher said they’d look at. Unfortunately, they turned down all three! But all is not lost. Now that they’re doubled in size, it may make them more acceptable to other publishers. I will look for other markets this week.

My heart aches for friends in Michigan who lost daughter in car accident. She was a children’s minister’s wife with two young daughters and a new baby. Can’t even imagine the pain the family is going through. Also, praying for the family and congregation of a pastor in Kingman, Arizona, who lost his life last week in a motorcycle accident.

Is there someone you know who is hurting today? Reach out to them in some way—prayer, a phone call, a card. It only takes a minute.

Thought for the Day:

Does Jesus care when I’ve said “Good-by,”
To the dearest on earth to me,
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks?
Is it aught to Him? Does He see?

Oh, yes, He cares; I know He cares.
His heart is touched with my grief.
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,
I know my Saviour cares.

J. Lincoln Hall, 1866-1930

Laugh for the Day:

A boss complained in a staff meeting that he wasn't getting any respect, so he went out and got a small sign that read, "I'm the Boss." He then taped it to his office door. Later that day when he returned from lunch, he found that someone had taped a note to the sign that said: "Your wife called, she wants you to bring her sign back!"

Time Management Hints:

11. Treat Your Writing as a Calling from God

In my writing book I tell about the talk Harold Ivan Smith gave at a conference that literally changed my writing career. Up to that time I had treated writing only as a hobby, to be done when and if I had the time. Then I heard these words: “We are called to write, and I feel we will be held responsible at the Judgment for the people who are hurting that we could have helped but didn’t, because we didn’t write what God laid on our hearts to write.” That took writing out of the hobby category for me and made it a calling.

I have never heard a preacher say, “I don’t have time to prepare my sermon.” He takes the time, because God has called him to preach.

Do we feel our writing is a calling from God? If so, then we should strive for excellence. As Isaac D’Israeli says, “It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the Excellent lies before us.”


My new book!
Preparing Your Heart for Christmas: A Devotional Book for Celebrating the Birth of Christ All Year Long!



Preparing Your Heart for Christmas: A Devotional Book for Celebrating the Birth of Christ All Year Long! [Paperback]

Price:
$9.95 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
Deal Price:


Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

Kindle Edition $2.99



No comments:

Post a Comment