Monday, August 20, 2012

A Step in the Write Direction


A Step in the Write Direction
August 20, 2012

Thought for Today:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade wins in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover” (Mark Twain).

Laugh for Today (good for this time of year):

"What do you mean," roared the politician, "by publicly insulting me in your paper. I demand a public apology."

"Just a moment," answered the editor, "we printed the item exactly as you gave it to us, that you had resigned your office."

"I know," the politician replied, "but why put it under 'Public Improvements'?"

Comment from last week’s blog: I am concerned about my own "dropping of the baton."…Every time I try and pick up the writing something else comes along to put it aside for a while. The past years have been draining for me and I don't use that as a reason not to write, but I need God's guidance. I am attempting to rest in His timing and hear what it is He has in mind for my writing.

My response: (I’m going to skip the Time Management hints this week to answer the above comment.)
I had a number of years when I was unable to do any writing: 18 years of owning and running an income tax/secretarial service; taking care of my husband (who has 12 different diseases); my mother’s death; and caring for an elderly uncle. But during all that time I stuffed a lot of notes in my “Ideas” folder, and the last couple of years I’ve been able to get back to my writing. I know many of you are going through rough times right now—financially, physically, perhaps even spiritually, but think of these trials as seeds for future articles, devotionals, short stories—even books!

My business led to two books published by John Wiley & Sons: How to Set Up & Run a Typing Service and How to Set Up & Run An Income Tax Business. My mother’s life led to a book God’s Christmas Angel, and a number of short stories, personal experience articles, and devotionals (some about my stepfather with dementia who visited us every year). I wrote about being a caretaker in “Living with a Disabled Husband,” and hopefully that will also lead to a caretaker anthology. Years ago, breaking up with a person of another faith led to the multi-published article “Should We Break Up?” All of my short stories were taken from events in my life with a “What If?” ending. Almost all of the chapters in my latest book The Freedom of Letting Go use personal experience illustrations.

My “bucket list” several years ago contained two main items: the Letting Go book and a writing book to offer people who called me saying, “I want to write. How do I get started?” Then my editing/proofreading work took a sudden dip and so did my income BUT that gave me more time to write, and during that time I finished A Step in the Write Direction—the Complete How-to Book for Christian Writers and The Freedom of Letting Go.

Remember, our ways are not always God’s ways, and neither is our timing!

Note: To read more about my background, click on the blog below:

Tapes for sale:
I know not many of you use cassette tapes anymore, but for those of you who do, I’ve been sorting through tapes of writing classes I’ve taught and have the following at $1 each, plus s&h, or all 33 for $25. Would be great to loan out to your writers group:

8 – Writing Your Personal Experience
5 – Where to Get Ideas
4 – Writing the Short Story
2 – Writing Devotionals
7 – Writing and Selling Your Poetry
9 – Selling What You Write
1 – Preparing a Manuscript for Publication
2 – Income Taxes for Writers
 
Donna Clark Goodrich
www.thewritersfriend.net
"A Step in the Write Direction--the Complete How-to Guide for Christian Writers"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment