Monday, December 14, 2015

A Step in the Write Direction, December 14, 2015--Advent devotion

A Step in the Write Direction
December 14, 2015

Update: A good week: Christmas party with my critique group; finished proofreading a book for a publisher, had lunch with my sister, went shopping with my two granddaughters who just moved back from Texas, went shopping Friday with my daughter, and finished a 2012 income tax for a customer. Have most of my Christmas gifts wrapped, but cards not out yet (usually out by December 1) but envelopes addressed and letters ready. Just need stuffing and personal notes….Good service yesterday with our new pastor, but he announced that our minister of music is leaving to take a church in Kingman, Arizona. Also said good-bye to a couple who will do missionary work. But God is good. He has restored the joy I had sort of lost the last few months!

Thought for the Day: God will help us to be, then it’s up to us to do (Dr. David Caudle, our new pastor).

Song for the Day:
From God, our Heav’nly Father,
A blessed angel came;
And unto certain shepherds
Bro’t tidings of the same:How that in Bethlehem was born
The Son of God by name.
O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy!
O tidings of comfort and joy!
            “God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen,” English Carol, 18th Century

Laugh for the Day: A minister was preaching his farewell sermon, and all during the service an elderly saint was in tears. At the door the pastor said to her, “Don’t cry, Sister. The conference will send you a better preacher.” “That’s what they said last time,” she sobbed.

New Book

I was surprised to receive copies this week of my children’s book Rhyme-Time Bible for little ones: 15 Bible stories all in poetry for preschoolers up to about 7 or 8. It wasn’t due for release until February. I sold out my first order at church this morning, but have more coming this week. Will make a great gift for parents or grandparents or Sunday school teachers to read to their children or students. $14.99, plus s&h (don’t know that amount yet, but I’m sure it’ll be less than the Step book which is $3.22).


Advent Devotion

(from Preparing Your Heart for Christmas)

The Joy of Giving

It is more blessed to give than to receive. (Acts 20:35)

I had always looked forward to Christmas but this year was special. Through the high school co-op program, I was allowed to leave school at noon and go to a job for which I received credit. Now I could buy gifts for others.

For one brother, I bought a used trumpet. For my older brother and his new wife, I gave a gift certificate to buy bricks for the house they were building. I bought a set of dishes for my sister’s family, and a chrome dinette set for my mother. I also had fun picking out toys for my nieces and nephews.

What a joy it was that Christmas morning. I was actually more excited watching everyone unwrap their gifts than I was opening my packages.

    I gave gifts…because I loved.

    God gave His Son…because He loved.

    Jesus gave His life…because He loved…

    And we’ve all been blessed.

Lord, may You be my example this Christmas—and all through the year. May I continue to give…because I love.


No comments:

Post a Comment