A Step in the Write Direction
April 20, 2015
Update: Good thought I read recently on firstname.lastname@example.org. “Bring together a group of five-year-olds and ask how many of them sing. Every hand will go up. Bring the same group together when they're twelve, and ask how many of them sing. One hand will go up, the young "professional" singer and performer. What happens between five years of age and twelve that our children lose their song, the one-of-a-kind, unrepeatable, irreplaceable song God made them to be?...” Our pastor said one Sunday, “I’ve buried a lot of people with the song still in them.” What song, story, article, poem, book has God called you to write? Are you doing it?
Thought for Today: “It seems to me shallow and arrogant for any man in these times to claim he is completely self-made, that he owes all his success to his own unaided efforts. Many hands and hearts and minds generally contribute to anyone’s notable achievements” (Crostics, Volume 175, Crostic 4).
Song for Today
Give of your best to the Master;
Give Him first place in your heart;
Give Him first place in your service;
Consecrate ev’ry part.
Howard B. Grose, “Give of Your Best to the Master”
Laugh for Today: The embarrassed hostess said to her company, "I'm sorry, I thought I told you to come over after dinner. "You did," the guests replied. "And that's what we came after."
Writer’s Tips: More Samples of Descriptive Writing
* p. 14, “Mick felt like a water pitcher that had been drained of the last drop.”
* p. 99, “But somehow love had sneaked in the back door and locked itself around her.”
* p. 142, “Taylor was a man who had locked his heart away in a treasure chest and buried it deep in the garden of his soul—so deep that no woman alive could ever touch it.”
* p. 284, “A joyous sob spilled from her inner being like the fragrance of a rosebud that has awakened from a dark night to erupt into full bloom with the splendid dawn of liberty.”
(The Awakening by Debra White Smith, Eugene, OR: Harvest House Publishers, 2000.)
Instead of “Sally was so sad and depressed”:
“Suddenly she realized the sound in the room was her own sobbing. She felt tears on her cheeks. She raised a hand and it trembled before her eyes. I could end it all, she thought without warning.” (Jack M. Bickham, “Getting Started in Writing,” p. 47, under subheading “Revealing Characters).
“For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace; the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands” (Isaiah 55:8-13).
Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.
Donna Clark Goodrich
· 100-Plus Motivational Moments for Writers and Speakers – half-price $5, $2.69 s&h (This is free if you purchase 5 other books.)
· Anthologies: only have Celebrating Christmas with…Memories, Poetry, and Good Food left. On sale for $10, $3.17 s&h)
· A Step in the Write Direction—the Complete How-to Guide for Christian Writers (with assignments throughout); original copies now on sale for half-price--$12.50, $3.17 s&h)
· The Freedom of Letting Go (with discussion questions; can be used in S.S. class or small group); original copies without questions now on sale for half-price--$7.50, $2.69 s&h)
· Healing in God’s Time (story of Dave Clark, composer of 25 songs that have gone to #1 on the charts); was $15; now $10, $2.69 s&h)
· The Little Book of Big Laughs--105 purse/pocket-size book of clean jokes--$5; up to 4 for same s&h—$2.69
· Preparing Your Heart for Christmas (31 Advent Devotions) half-price—$5
· Michigan and Ohio Cookbooks; half-price $5 each, plus s&h (depending on number ordered)