A Step in the Write Direction
January 19, 2015
Update: I don’t like freeways! I’m fine once I get on them, but I always fear getting on them. While crossing the overpass, before turning onto the freeway, I always look to see how much traffic there is. If I see a lot of cars, I cringe and pray that someone will let me in. They always do. Recently, while taking the freeway out of necessity, I thought of how often my life is like that. I look ahead, think of all the possible problems that could be out there, and cringe. But every time, when I have faith, God lets me onto His highway and I can go on from there.
Thought for Today: Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful (John Wooden).
Song for Today:
Had I a thousand tongues to sing,
The half could ne’er be told
Of love so rich, so full and free,
Of blessings manifold.
“Let All the People Praise Thee,” Lelia N. Morris
Laugh for Today:
John’s Weather Forecasting Stone
Stone is wet Rain
Stone is dry Not raining
Shadow on ground Sunny
White on top Snowing
Can’t see stone Foggy
Swinging stone Windy
Stone jumping up and down Earthquake
Stone gone Tornado
Income Tax Tips (Schedule C continued)
Line 22, Supplies. The list is endless here: stapler/staples, paper clips, paper, envelopes, toner, pens/pencils, day planners, business card holders, software—anything you buy specifically for use in your business. I find it helps to keep two sets of these supplies—one for the family and one for your office.
Line 23, Taxes and licenses. Some states have a personal property tax for items purchased for a business. Others require a license to operate a business out of the home. Check your city’s zoning laws.
Line 24, Travel, meals, and entertainment. This line covers such things as airline tickets, rental cars, taxi fares, shuttles, and curbside baggage fees. Meals include out-of-town and overnight stays, as well as taking someone out for a business luncheon or dinner. Entertainment can include taking a client to a play, a sporting event, a concert, or another activity. Only a certain percentage of the cost for meals and entertainment is deductible, however. Any cleaning or laundry expenses while on a business trip will also be included here.
Line 25, Utilities. This is for a rented office space only. (Utilities for a home office are included on Form 8829.)
(Next week we will cover miscellaneous deductions such as postage, books/ magazines, etc.)
Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.
Donna Clark Goodrich
· A Step in the Write Direction—the Complete How-to Guide for Christian Writers (with assignments throughout); original copies now on sale for half-price--$12.50, $3.17 s&h)
· The Freedom of Letting Go (with discussion questions; can be used in S.S. class or small group); original copies without questions now on sale for half-price--$7.50, $2.69 s&h)
· Healing in God’s Time (story of Dave Clark, composer of 25 songs that have gone to #1 on the charts); was $15; now $10, $2.69 s&h)
· The Little Book of Big Laughs (105 purse/pocket-size book of clean jokes); up to 4 for same s&h—$2.32
· Preparing Your Heart for Christmas (31 Advent Devotions) half-price - $5
· Michigan and Ohio Cookbooks; half-price $5 each, plus s&h (depending on number ordered)
· 100-Plus Motivational Moments for Writers and Speakers – half-price $5, $2.69 s&h (This is free if you purchase 4 other books.)
· Grandmother, Mother, and Me Anthology (stories, poetry, and recipes);
· Grandfather, Father, and Me Anthology (stories, poetry, and recipes)
· Celebrating Christmas with…Memories, Poetry, and Good Food
(above three anthologies now half price--$12.50, $3.17 s&h)