Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Step in the Write Direction--August 25, 2014--Writing Through Discouragement


A Step in the Write Direction
August 25, 2014

Update: A relative is returning from a summer vacation this week and will be facing several family problems. Friday night I laid awake until past 2:30 a.m., trying to figure out a way to help her and what I could tell her to do. I know that in the past she stated that she didn’t want people giving her advice; she just wanted them to listen when she shared. Praying about the situation, the following words came to me. Perhaps they’ll help you with a relationship you’re dealing with today.
A List’ning Ear

Dear Lord, I ask for freedom
From worry, doubt, and fear,
But most of all I ask that You
Will give me a list’ning ear.

Dear Lord, help me to let go
Of things I hold most dear,
But once again I ask that You
Will give me a list’ning ear.

Lord, help me not to give advice
When others’ woes I hear.
Let me be still that they may know
I possess a list’ning ear.

As You turn Your face toward me
Each time I kneel and pray,
Let me show that selfsame love
With a list’ning ear today.

                        Donna Clark Goodrich

Thought for Today: “Silent” is an anagram for “Listen” (author unknown).

Thought #2: Wisdom is what you get when you’re listening when you’d rather be talking (author unknown; from crossword puzzle book)/

Song for Today:
No one understands like Jesus,
Ev’ry woe He sees and feels.
Tenderly He whispers comfort,
And the broken heart He heals.

            “No One Understands Like Jesus,” John W. Peterson, 1921—

Laugh for Today: An old man is afraid that his wife is losing her hearing. So he walks up right to her ear and asks, "Can you hear me?" She didn't answer. He walked up closer and asked again. But there was no answer. Finally he asked her one more time really loud and his wife said, "for the third time yes!!!" (http://www.ajokeaday.com)

Writer’s Tips: (from unpublished Writer’s Devotional Book):

Opening Up the Roses
You need to persevere so that when you have done the will
of God, you will receive what he has promised (Hebrews 10:36).

A mother began looking for her five-year-old boy after not seeing him around for a while. “Johnny, where are you?” she called. She looked through the house, then she looked out the window and saw him in the garden. “What are you doing?” she asked.

“Helping God,” he replied. “I’m opening up the roses for Him.”

We all know that roses open in their own time and all we do cannot make them open sooner. But what about rushing ahead of God’s time to make things come to pass? Someone has said, “God never hurries, but He’s always there on time.” Most of our headaches and heartaches are caused by impatience—trying to resolve matters in our own way and in our own time. We go around opening roses, thinking we’re helping God.

We can do only so much to be a successful writer. We can read books on writing, attend conferences, meet with editors, and write what we feel God has called us to write. The rest is in His hands.

“But I get so discouraged,” you say. “I send things out and they come back—without even a letter of explanation.”

Discouragement is normal. No one likes to be rejected, but we have to remember it isn’t us that’s being rejected. Often it isn’t even our material. Manuscripts are turned down for many reasons and, even though “we are presently overstocked” seems to be a common response, it’s a valid reason. One editor I met said he will not accept anything unless he knows he can use it within the next year. Another editor told seminar conferees that his magazine receives over 200 articles a week—and of these, they only use eight in an issue. That means 800 to 1,000 authors a month receive rejection letters.

Don’t let discouragement cause you to give up. That would be like a farmer who plants a crop, and a month later impatiently plows up the field because the crop isn’t ready to harvest.

God takes time to work out His purposes. Even though you’re discouraged now, don’t rush to find a solution. Let Him have His time and way. He will open the roses when the time is right.

What are you discouraged about today? Write out a prayer of commitment regarding your writing, then leave the results to God.

Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.

Donna Clark Goodrich
dgood648@aol.com
www.thewritersfriend.net
http://donna-goodrich.blogspot.com

NOTE: Cleaning out my book inventory. They are now all HALF PRICE. A great time to do some Christmas shopping for friends and family members. Email me for complete list and prices!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment