Monday, April 21, 2014

A Step in the Write Direction--April 21, 2014--The Stone of Discouragement


Rolling Away the Stone

But when they looked up, they saw that the stone,
which was very large, had been rolled away
(Mark 16:4).

            Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome brought spices to anoint the body of Jesus. But as they neared the tomb, they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”
            Good question! How could they have known that the stone had already been rolled away?!
            Have you ever felt that a huge stone blocks your dream to be a writer? Departing from my usual blog, the next few weeks we'll discuss some of the stones that need to be rolled away in your life. (But for those who look for it, I'll include the Thought, Song, and Laugh for the Day at the end!)
            The Stone of Discouragement. Luke 3:5-6 tells the story of Peter, a professional fisherman. When Jesus told him to let down the nets, he said, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything.”
            Does this sound familiar? “Lord, I went to a conference. The editors told me to send them my book manuscripts. I did, but I’ve heard nothing.” “Lord, I’ve submitted my book fifteen times, and every time it comes back with a form rejection. They don’t even tell me why.” “Lord, I sent out twelve articles a month ago and haven’t sold anything.” “Lord, I’m quitting. My nets are empty.”
            The note on this passage in the Nelson Study Bible (nkjv) says, “This is Peter’s statement of faith. The fisherman noted that he and his companions had just failed to make a catch at the best time for fishing, the evening. The circumstances were not good for a catch at the time of Jesus’ command.”
But what was Peter’s response? “Because you say so, I will let down the nets [again]” (emphasis added). And what happened? He “caught such a large number of fish that [his] net began to break.” So many fish that he had to call his partners in other boats to come and help him, and they “filled both boats so full that they began to sink” (v. 7).
            Let down your net again. Only the Lord knows what you will pull up this time!
                        Chance is always powerful.
                        Let your hook be always cast.
                        In the pool where you least expect it
                        will be a fish.

                                                —Ovid

 If the stone of discouragement is blocking you today, find a scripture to hang onto and write it below.
Thought for Today: “Through prayer we can reach into the future and with loving hands touch those beyond our reach” (Brother Andrew).

Song for Today:
   When I am burdened, or weary and sad,
   Jesus is all I need.
   Never He fails to uplift and make glad.
   Jesus is all I need.
            ("Jesus Is All I Need," James Rowe)

Laugh for Today: A lion comes across two men, one reading and the other writing. The beast pounces on and devours the reader but ignores the writer. Why? Because, as everyone knows, a writer cramps while a reader digests. (Reader’s Digest, 04/14/ p. 104).
 
Donna Clark Goodrich
dgood648@aol.com
www.thewritersfriend.net

"A Step in the Write Direction--the Complete How-to Guide for Christian Writers"

No comments:

Post a Comment