Monday, November 4, 2013

A Step in the Write Direction--November 4, 2013--Idea Folders

A Step in the Write Direction
November 4, 2013
 
Update: Enjoyed the Arizona Christian Writers Conference last Friday and Saturday. It was fun meeting new writers and getting re-acquainted with old friends. This will be the last conference in Arizona; from now on ACW will just hold mentoring workshops around the country, but hearing from those who have attended these, they’re well worth it. Every year I give out the “Donna Goodrich award” to those who have impacted my life. This year I gave it to Reg as I know it’s been hard for him to carry on without Eleanor. I was honored to receive the “Writer of the Year” award for the third straight year. It encourages me to keep going!
 
Thought for Today: “He prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemies.”  This table is a spread—not just scrambled eggs, but Grandma’s cooking. And it’s in the presence of our enemies which could be distress, oppression, and affliction. “You treat me to a feast while my enemies watch. You give me provision in the midst of my troubles.” (Pastor Ira Brown)
 
Laugh for Today:
A surgeon, an engineer, and a politician were arguing about whose profession is the oldest.
            “Mine is,” said the doctor. “After all, Eve was carved out of Adam’s rib.”
            “Maybe,” said the engineer, “but the earth was created out of chaos in six days. That was obviously an engineering job.”
            “Of course, of course,” said the politician. “but who do you think created the chaos?”
 
Writer’s Tips:
Although many writers keep ideas and manuscripts in a computer file, I still like using file folders containing submission records for each individual manuscript. However, to be safe, I’ve copied the manuscripts themselves onto CDs and flash drives that I keep in a fireproof, waterproof safe. I also keep idea folders. When I get more than one idea on the same subject, I give it a tentative title and file it in a folder. Then when I find more material relating to that subject, or I have time to work on it, everything is in one place.
 
I keep files of quotations and articles, as well. I read newspapers and magazines with a pen and scissors nearby, and as soon as I clip something, I put the source and the date at the top. You can also scan these clippings onto a CD or into a computer file, but I like the idea of going through the folders looking for a specific illustration. Whenever I do this, I always get seeds for other writing ideas.
 
(Sorry this is so short this week—mainly because of the conference. Next week I’m going to share some tips on writing Bible studies.)
 
Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.
 
Donna Clark Goodrich
dgood648@aol.com
www.thewritersfriend.net
http://donna-goodrich.blogspot.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment