Monday, August 19, 2013

A Step in the Write Direction--proofreading/editing jobs
 
August 19, 2013
 
Update: I have a story in a contest, and the winner depends on the number of votes. If you like, would you go to http://midlifecollage.com/video/ and vote for mine. Thanks!
 
I got a call from an editor this week, saying he liked my writer's devotional book and would like to offer me a contract. He went on and on about all they would do: It'd be in all the Christian bookstores, as well as Barnes & Noble, etc., etc. Everything would be at their expense—cover, marketing, etc. It sounded real good until the end. "All we ask our authors to do," he casually continued, "is to buy 2500 copies within the first 30 days. At your cost, that would be only $5,000. Would that be a problem for you?"
 
That’s all? He said he'd send me a "sample" contract as he didn't want the committee to go to the work of preparing an actual contract until they knew what I wanted to do. I told him I'd pray about it, but I already knew my decision. It's like they say, “If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!” But I believe in the book (52 devotions for writers), and feel I can find a publisher.

 
Thought for the Day:
 
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no powr's, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

©1995 Kingsway's Thankyou Music
Words and Music by Stuart Townend
 
Laugh for the Day:
·         The problem with political jokes is they get elected. - Henry Cate, VII 
·         If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these State of the Union speeches, there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven. - Will Rogers
·         Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even where there is no river. - Nikita Khrushchev
·         Why pay money to have your family tree traced; go into politics and your opponents will do it for you. - Author unknown
·         Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and order more tunnels. - John Quinton 
·         Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks. - Doug Larson
Reader’s Question: We met a dozen years ago at Write to Publish. At that time, you said you supported you and your husband with your writing and editing. I just became the supporter of my family so writing and editing moves from supplement to primary income. Do you have tips to help me contact publishers and offer my skills as an editor and writer or ghostwriter?
 
Reply: Most of my income comes from proofreading and, at present, I do about 50 books a year for a large Christian publishing house. I got into proofreading by finding typos in books and sending them in. I started with a small publisher, and then they went out of business and the editor I knew went to the one I work for now. I've been with them over 15 years.
 
Almost all of my editing jobs come through the annual Arizona Christian Writers Conference which I began in 1982, ran for 7 years, and then turned it over to Reg Forder who, a few years later, went nationwide with American Christian Writers. When I have appointments with writers, I ask to see the manuscripts the day before, if possible. I edit a few pages, then show my work to them and tell them my rates. I also do the same thing with writers I meet at other conferences where I teach. Some jobs also come from word-of-mouth. If the writers request it, I'll offer to do a few pages free just to show them my work.
 
To get started, contact a writers’ group in your area and let them know of your interest. You can also go through the Christian Writers Market Guide, pick out some publishers, and send your resume to the Production Manager (not an editor).
 
Re: ghostwriting, the only time I did that was for my songwriter nephew’s book (Healing in God’s Time), although I’ve had people ask me. Cecil Murphey just had a number of really good blogs on ghostwriting. You can find them at: cec@gottatellsomebody.com
 
Hope this helps!
 
Have a good week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.
 
Donna Clark Goodrich
dgood648@aol.com
www.thewritersfriend.net
http://donna-goodrich.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment