Monday, July 29, 2013

A Step in the Write Direction--July 29, 2013

A Step in the Write Direction
July 29, 2013
Update:
Finally—after working for a good part of 5 or 6 days, I have my marketing records reconstructed from the last 3 years. Now I have a list of what’s been sold where and what’s been turned down where, so now I can start sending out reprints again. Also have copied all my documents onto five flash drives: books/calendars; miscellaneous manuscripts (fiction/nonfiction/devotionals/ poems/book reviews/newspapers, etc.); conference material; personal; and pictures….Have one book here to review for Amazon, and then need to get started on a 409-page editing job. It’s been a good week—free from coughing for the last three days! Thanks for your prayers! Such a relief!
Thought for the Day:
“I’m not out to please this whole world around me; I’ve got my mind on eternity” (from “I Am Not Ashamed of the Gospel”)—sung beautifully by our music minister’s wife this morning. This should be the motto of every Christian writer!
Laugh for the Day:
A minister was awakened one night and saw a burglar going through his dresser drawers.  "What are you doing?" asked the minister. 
"I'm looking for money." 
"Wait a minute," the minister jumped out of bed. "I'll look with you."
Quiz:
I don’t think I ever gave the answer to the last group of questions. Here they are:
·        The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal? (Dogs)
·        What was King George’s first name? (Albert)
·        What color is a purple finch? (Crimson)
·        Where are Chinese gooseberries from? (New Zealand)
·        What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane? (Orange)
Free Writers Newsletter:
Subscribe at: workingwriters@aol.com. I’ll be having a couple of articles coming out in this newsletter in the near future. Edited by Moira Allen, it has a lot of good material in it.
Fun Puzzle:
7H15  M3554G3  53RV35  7O  PR0V3  H0W  0UR M1ND5 C4N  D0  4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5!  1MPR3551V3  7H1NG5!
1N  7H3  B3G1NN1NG  17  WA5  H4RD  BU7  N0W,  0N 7H15  LIN3  Y0UR  M1ND 1S  R34D1NG 17  4U70M471C4LLY  W17H0U7  3V3N  7H1NK1NG  4B0U7 17. 
B3  PROUD! 0NLY  C3R741N  P30PL3  C4N  R3AD  7H15.
Writer’s Tips:
Here are some tips on formatting your manuscript;
Left-Hand Upper Corner
·        Name you want check made out to (important if you’re using a pen name)
·        Address
·        Phone
·        Email address
·        Web site and blog, if you like
·        NO Social Security number (if publishers need it to send you a 1099, they’ll ask for it).
Right-Hand Upper Corner
·        The rights you’re selling. (We covered this some time ago, but if you have questions, let me know and I’ll send you the information.)
·        Word count (don’t need this for poetry
Will discuss choosing a title next week!
Have a great week spreading the
gospel through the printed page.
Donna Clark Goodrich
 
"A Step in the Write Direction--the Complete How-to Guide for Christian Writers"
"The Freedom of Letting Go"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment