Monday, December 10, 2012

A Step in the Write Direction--December 10, 2012


A Step in the Write Direction
December 10, 2012
Thought for the Day:
WARNING: ADVENT VIRUS. Be on the alert for symptoms of inner Hope, Peace, Joy and Love. The hearts of a great many have already been exposed to this virus and it is possible that people everywhere could come down with it in epidemic proportions. (Anonymous via email)
Laugh for the Day:
A single man berated the mothers in his neighborhood for being so hard on their children. "You need to love them," he'd tell them. Then he put in a new driveway and, before the cement was dry, one of the neighbor boys walked through it. The man yelled at him.
"I thought you loved kids," a mother said.
"I love them in the abstract," the man replied, "but not in the concrete."
Writing Hint:
About 20 years ago, shortly after returning home from a writers’ conference, I received a tearful call from a writer. “I just got a rejection letter from Guideposts,” she moaned. I shared with her that one of the classes I had taken at the conference was taught by the Guideposts editor. At that time, he said, they received around 200 submissions A WEEK, and of that, they used only 8 (and this was over 20 years ago).
It seems every writer wants the honor of being published in Guideposts. But here’s a word of advice: While they pay well and have a worldwide circulation, remember that they buy All Rights, which means you can’t sell it anyplace else without their permission. You might do better in the long run to sell First Rights to another periodical, then—after it’s published—send out Reprint Rights to as many other periodicals/Sunday school take-home papers, etc., as you like. You may end up making more and having a larger readership than being published in Guideposts. (More on what rights to sell in A Step in the Write Direction.)
Advent Devotion (from my book Preparing Your Heart for Christmas, available on Amazon for $4.95)
Day 7
Asking Amiss
You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss
(James 4:3).
Five months after our wedding date, Uncle Sam wrote my husband and said, “I want you,” and he left for Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri. I joined him in May after his basic training, and now we were getting ready for Christmas. This would be our last Christmas with just the two of us, and we were both excited over the expected addition to our family in February.
With the doctor’s permission, we took a trip in early December to Gary’s hometown in Kansas to visit his mother. While there we did some shopping and stopped at a drugstore where I saw irons and toasters on sale.
“Oh, honey, we need both of these,” I said to Gary. Hearing those words, his mother immediately picked up a toaster and headed for the cashier.
I protested, but she said, “I’d rather get you something I know you need than something you won’t use.”
“I used to come in here and beg for a gun and holster and you’d say no,” Gary said to his mother. “Donna says she wants a toaster, and you pick it up. ’Tain’t fair.”
“Well,” his mother laughed, “I think a toaster is more important than a gun and holster, don’t you?” Gary agreed, and then he ended up also buying the iron.
How many things have you asked God for and you didn’t receive them? At the time did you wonder why He didn’t give them to you? And later on, in retrospect, did you finally understand the reason?
Perhaps you’re asking for something special this Christmas season. God may answer with “yes,” “no,” or perhaps “wait awhile.” If you don’t receive something you want, you can be assured that what He ends up giving you is far better than what you asked for.
Lord, You know my future, and as I enter into this time of celebrating Your Son’s birth, let me be careful in what I ask for, and be thankful for what You give me.

Donna

www.thewritersfriend.net
"A Step in the Write Direction--the Complete How-to Guide for Christian Writers"


No comments:

Post a Comment