Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Step in the Write Direction

A Step in the Write Direction

July 2, 2012

Update:
I had a strange dream last night. Houses were on fire on both sides of the street and the firemen wouldn’t let me enter. “My granddaughter is coming home from school,” I told them, “and I have to go meet her. She’s all alone.” Then it seemed like a voice said, “She’ll be alone a lot in her life, but she’ll be okay.” Then the same voice said to me, “And you’ll be alone too, but you’ll be okay.” I woke up, and my husband was having one of his times he has sometimes in his sleep where he quits breathing. I thought, “This is it” (as he has many health problems), but he started breathing normally again.

After that I couldn’t sleep, and thought about my granddaughters and the “fires” they may go through in their lives. Then I remembered a conversation I had with a friend many years ago when our family was going through a series of crises. “Do you ever feel like everything’s coming like a flood?” she asked.

“Yes,” I responded, then suddenly a verse came to me and I told her, “But I have flood insurance!” (Isaiah 43:2: “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched...”)

That verse—and also remembering how after the three Hebrew children came out of the fiery furnace with not even the smell of smoke on them—comforted me and I went back sleep, knowing that if the day ever came when I would be alone, it’d be okay.

If you’re going through a fire or a flood today, know that even though you may feel alone, you won’t be, and eventually you’ll be okay!


Thought for Today:  I think the above gives you enough to think about!

Laugh for Today:

Just before the funeral services, the undertaker came up to the elderly widow and asked,
”How old was your husband?”
“98,” she replied. “Two years older than me.
”So you're 96,” the undertaker commented.
”Yes,” she responded. “Hardly worth me going home, is it?”

Computer Tip:

Elaine Hardt writes, “If you'd like to mention www.pmugnews.blogspot.com your readers could get some helps with the Mac computer. I write their blog and have had Mac since 1984.”

Writing Tips:

Here are some more questions that were submitted. Feel free to send any questions about writing you may have.

1) What are “sidebars”?  "Sidebars" are usually numbered lists along the side of an article, sometimes summarizing the article, as in "10 Hints for Detecting Cancer," etc. Sometimes an editor won’t buy the article, but may buy the sidebar.

2) How do I submit my manuscripts—by e-mail or through the postal service? If the guide says they accept manuscripts by e-mail, go ahead and send them that way. This saves postage, envelopes, and paper. But go by their rules. Some want them inside the actual e-mail; others accept attachments.

If you're sending your manuscript through the post office, use an envelope large enough that it doesn't have to be folded (usually a 9x12). If you're sending an SASE, this can be a 9x12 folded; however, on most of mine I just put (between my return address and the title) MANUSCRIPT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE RETURNED. This saves you postage and saves them the job of returning it if they don't accept it. However, in this case, DO enclose a size 10 SASE for their response (or for the check!).

If sending it through the mail, address it to the editor's name (make sure you spell it right!). If e-mailing, put "query" or "manuscript submission" in the subject line.

Have a good writing week!

No comments:

Post a Comment